B-Nice

9/15/2006

9/11 - Reflections

I know this is kind of late but just needed to put it out there. A week ago today was the day to reflect on the day that changed the atmosphere of America more than any other event in my lifetime. I happened to be away on 9/11 this year but as I tuned into the radio on my drive back home or the television when I got home it was hard to forget or ignore the deluge of memories that were all around. Many were remembering back to where they were and sending prayers to the families of those who lost loved ones, friends and acquaintances.

I have to admit that the way it touched my life was not the same way it touched others. 9/11/2001 I was serving jury duty for the first time. I had reported the day before to the Bronx court house and was called for a case and told by the judge to report the next day at 11:00 AM. That really worked for me because I could literally walk to the courthouse from my house. At a little before 9 I went into the bathroom to get showered. I turned on the radio to hear them discussing the last time a plane hit a building in NY when a plane hit the Empire State Building. I went back in the bedroom, turned to the news just in time to see the plane strike the second tower. My husband was working nights at the time and I woke him up so he could see what was going on. We watched in shock like it was a bad B movie. I remember crying when the first tower went down. We spent the rest of the day worrying about how our youngest son was going to get from lower Manhattan where he was in middle school to the Bronx and worrying about a close friend and church member who worked in an eating establishment in one of the towers. Cell phones were a complete waste of time, public transportation was nuts, bridges were closed and jury duty was cut short.

The next morning when my husband returned from work he was complaining of gas pains that he had experienced all night long. The gas turned out to be a mild heart attack that sent us to the emergency room that was still crazy as those trying to help with the recovery effort at the towers were sent to any and every hospital to be treated for the ill effects of being in that environment at that time. My husband had just turned 43 at the time.

5 years later neither have the towers been rebuilt nor have the memorial been even started but that's typical for NY. We have a movie about the event cause Hollywood will make money off of anything that they can. From time to time I'll see an old episode of NYPD Blue and see the towers in the background and remember how awesome they were to see and how we'll never see them again and why. I remember the great loss of so many innocents and I'm saddened. Or I'll be forced to fly somewhere and remember why I damn near have to strip to catch a flight in America. My world is a much scarier place and I've never been back to jury duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home