B-Nice

3/02/2010

I Call BULLSH*T

Each and every morning I start my day with local ABC news. Yes, I do love Ken, Lori and Bill. This morning over and over I was told how as of March 7, 2010 at 12:01 AM my routine may be interrupted because Cablevision charges me to receive local programming but does not pay the local programmers for the benefit of receiving the signal. And when I cut on my cable boxes in other rooms they have overridden my settings to tune to an alert that tells me how ABC is holding me hostage just so they can get more money. And now for my rant...

First, of all Cablevision sucks balls. My signal is often filled with digital distortion forcing me to watch shows that I DVRed on my computer because they were so distorted they were unwatchable. For example last nights episode of 24. Second, I'm held hostage by Cablevision because I live in an apartment building in an area that is basically lower income I am basicaly optionless. The area is one of the last areas to get any kind of new services such as Fios and my landlord has forbidden me to mount a DirectTV dish on their property. Third, neither of them are really struggling financially. I'm the one struggling in this economy as everything goes up with the exception of my salary. While they may be making less money in this economy (and I even doubt that) they are surely still making millions or maybe even billions.

I googled and googled and cannot find the facts that I really want to know. Such as:
1. Do any other cable providers pay to receive signals from the major broadcasters or what used to be known as free TV? If so, then it is an industry standard in my opinion and Cablevision needs to pony up the dough. If not, ABC is being unreasonable and needs to fall back.
2. Do any other cable providers include in their pricing some sort of fee to receive free TV signals? If so, again, I'm gonna say industry standard. If not, I'm thinking class action suit for unfair pricing and Cablevision gets to Pony up the dough.

If no other free stations are receiving money from cable providers to receive their signals and ABC is indeed holding everyone hostage and is actually successful, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that all the other majors will follow suit and make money off the back of the viewers because at the end of the day the buck always stops with us.

Either way. I CALL BULLSH*T!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home