B-Nice

3/13/2010

Rain, Rain, Go Away

When I woke up this morning I just knew it was going to be a good day. Today is my 6th Zetaversary and there was a full day of being a Zeta to look forward too. Yes, it was raining as it has been since yesterday, but that did not upset me. I thought I had a plan and that it would be all good.

I started the day out with a great workout compliments of my Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga DVD. I figured that would get me up and going for the day. I had all of the reports printed for the monthly chapter meeting. I had my Hopstop directions to get me to the Archonette induction and then to the meeting. I was running a little late when I left home just after 9am so I knew I would be a little late but it was a nasty day and I was pretty sure they wouldn't really be starting on time anyway. I still don't own a pair of rubber boots but was pretty sure that my leather timbs would be okay for the day.They have a low wedge heel but I thought they would work okay all things considered.

And then it all fell apart. Starting with the wind. I totally underestimated the force of the wind and my umbrella was toast almost immediately. I negelected to wear a hat just because I forgot and really didn't think I would need my gloves so I didn't have them. Walking to the train station wasn't an option due to the still mending ankle and the bus took FOREVER. Got to 170th Street and figured I would run in RiteAid and get a new umbrella and maybe a rain hat. NOT HAPPENING. They had absolutely nothing. Manager said they sold out their entire stock of rain stuff yesterday. OK. Head up to the train platform and find out that HOPSTOP neglected to be aware of the fact that there were no downtown trains running. Right there I should have gone downstairs and hailed a cab. Of course I didn't do that, so... I rode up to Burnside Avenue for the downtown train.

The next part was my fault. Normally when I transfer at 149th Street and the Grand Concourse I am heading uptown to work. Today I needed to go downtown to Harlem. Somehow or another I ended up on auto pilot and did not realize my mistake until the train was at the next uptown station. Problem being, you can't transfer at that station. I had to ride an additional 3 stops up to transfer for a downtown train. One good point, I found a really nice umbrella on that uptown train. I crossed over and got on what I thought was a downtown 2 train. This one I'm not sure if it was my bad or a case of the train being mislabeled as it often is. In any event the next thing I know I'm at 125th and Lexington on the east side instead of 125th and Lenox on the west side. Of course, through all of this I'm constantly checking my watch and seeing that it is getting later and later. I wasn't looking forward to walking from 116th and Lexington Avenue to where I needed to go on 118th Street but que sera, sera, if that is what I had to do, ok.

Two more downtown express trains came before a downtown local train finally came and it was absolutely the last straw when the local train went express on the local track and I realized that I could not even transfer back uptown at 86th Street but would need to go to 59th Street to transfer for an uptown local train. I have to say once my mind was made up that I had enough, I made the best connections of all time. I rode the local to 125th Street to avoid the steps at 86th Street. The 4 came right away at 125th Street and the 11 bus back home seemed to come almost as soon as I hit the bus stop. Nearly 3 hours later, cold, wet, tired and with an ankle that was now hurting due probably to the small heel on the boot in addition to the cold and the wet weather I return home. What an adventure.

New on my to do list:
1. Get some rain boots. STAT.
2. Get some a rain hat and maybe even a rain coat for when an umbrella simply won't do.

Lesson Learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home