B-Nice

3/23/2010

Health Care???

So now that the health care bill has passed, I'm not sure if we've done a good thing for real or not. I avidly watched Michael Moore's Sicko and from what I understand what other civilized countries have is not Universal Health Insurance but Universal Health Care. You get sick, you get injured, you go to the hospital or doctor and you get taken care of. This healthcare reform bill seems like it may be forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Working families will be able to carry their children on their health plans for longer. Sounds good to me. Insurance companies won't be able to deny or drop coverage because someone is sick. OK, I can get with that. Everyone must get health insurance. UMMM... How exactly does that work? If I don't have coverage because I couldn't afford coverage how does making me get coverage work for me? Even if it is a percentage of my income, what if I can't afford the percentage that you say I should be able to pay if I don't make enough money for food, shelter, transportation and incidentals as it is? Honestly what someone says you can afford may not be what you can afford.

For instance, 25 year old son gets sick, goes to the emergency room, is held overnight and serviced, and gets a whopping bill. He's unemployed and applies for emergency medicaid and is denied. Hello, I did say he was unemployed didn't I. How can he be denied? For real you think he can afford to pay a couple of grand to a hospital on his unemployment? If an unemployed person does not qualify for medicaid now, who does?

I seriously hope this all works out because situations like his should not exist. People should not go bankrupt, lose their homes, have their credit damaged because they got sick. I have questions. Who has answers?????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home